2018, a Moon cycle
The Force that Guides the Stars Guides You Too
~ Shrii Shrii Anandamurti
Welcome to 2018, numerologically a number TWO (11) Moon year. It is comprised of the number of the Moon (2), presiding over truth, everything connected to Mother, the feminine nurturance, water and the ebb and tide of same within and without us. The zero (0) - or great Void of spiritual transformation, the number of the Sun (1), which is filled with the eternal light of the soul, power, leadership and masculine authority, as well as the number of Saturn (8), still on our case heavily with on-going reminders of our karmic debts. All this adds up to 11, a Master number in Numerology, a number two, the number of the Moon.
AUM SHRIMATE NAMAH
salutations to the one possessed of all auspiciousness
The Moon cycle is the year of the Great Mother archetype. A watery, and complexly emotional year. Moon (Chandra), is the presiding deity of the Water element and rules our emotional mind, as well as our internal hormonal, lymphatic fluid balance. Subsequently, and since we perish without water, Moon rules over Nourishment, agriculture, the vegetable and plant kingdom, our sustenance and day to day food. With the population rising every day, and maxed out worldwide natural resources already, we will consider our future more compassionately, in a mothering way. From the very advent of agriculture, worries about the future and feeding the multitudes have been players in the theatre of the human mind. Specific to the Moon are all medicinal and nutritional herbs. Apart from the great vegetarian renaissance sweeping the Western world of late, we can expect tremendous increase in pursuing the knowledge of plant-based nutrition. More and more people will recognize that a less violent diet will benefit the planet at large (reduced carbon imprint), and our overall consciousness, as in a Moon cycle we are more interested in peace. We will also witness an upswing in energy work, soft healing techniques, relational process work, meditation and mind-body medicine that uplift our self-perception and empower our innate emotional intelligence and intuition, healing trauma and addiction with more community support and self-help tools. The allopathic model in its snip/cut/drug approach, reducing our quality of life with short term solutions that interfere in the self-healing wisdom of the body, will be more scrutinized as citizens will be better researched and come equipped to speak up to protect their long-term integral health.
Moon Yantra painting by Debbie Gillingham
The Moon is a sattvic feminine archetype, it is private, tender-hearted, super-sensitive, charming, diplomatic, gentle in self-expression, nourishing and calming in vibration, wise and learned. A reflector of the power and the light of the Sun (the King), the Moon as the Queen of the planetary pantheon, is given to the pursuits of peace, truth and harmony in all relations. Having just completed a very turbulent, fiery and disaster laden Sun cycle – we can look forward to a more feeling cycle of spiritual evolution and emotions predominating in all of our interactions. Global unrest, sadly to continue, will be prompted by this Water element, which will result in new ecological crises around water, excessive rains, floods, earthquakes, pollution and more oceanic contamination. The Moon rules the “emotional mind” and some of the important criteria will be to channel all the mind stuff of our patterned perceptions and illusionary transference/projections into a heart-centered relational process, as otherwise we will end up with a lot of emotional catharsis, not necessarily resulting in our desired highest and best communication. The Moon Personality types require a lot of silence, time for reflection and time by the water as it is their inherent element and calms them. Moon people are loyal, value lifelong friendships, interested in ritual and the circles of the ancient Sisterhood, celebrating emotionally satisfying connection. The Moon is inherently unstable due to the waxing and waning of its cycle, which influences us in our moods being more fickle and indecisive if we just process reality from our psychic impressions (vasanas), instead of our genuine heart feelings and primal somatic responses.
The number one year of 2017 left us stirred and challenged from all its massive collective political shifts, mega stress, devastating earth changes and fires still burning. Welcome to the cooling number two Moon year. 2018 is a cycle of our watery bio intelligence! As we are in a world that feels wobbly, I want to offer you a quote from Emilie Conrad, CONTINUUM teacher I met at Esalen so many decades ago:
“I tell you that we are thousands of wave motions that converge to form what is now being called ‘a body’, water is the medium of our deliverance.”
Of course, there are always some difficult transits - yet compared to 2017 and with the extremes upcoming in 2019, the year 2018 will be a tranquil year (fitting for the MOON theme). However, the cosmic respite is to allow us to dive deep into our own inner ocean, and find the things that really are important to us. We will need that inner anchor as we go into the 2019/2020 cycles. This is a fruitfully reflective year to gain in spiritual awakening, perhaps enter a professional therapeutic process to reveal more of the subconscious lingerings and unconscious demons dictating our habitual thinking and behaviour.
And this is the context to embrace and approach this year with. A feeling motion in which we can go back to the movement and awareness of who we are authentically, the movement of water, as an antidote to the speed and stress that surrounds us. The big lesson from water is about the way water moves in the path of least resistance.
People born on the 2nd, 11th, 20th and 29th will be more prone to the susceptibility of these ups and downs, and it will be good to understand how the natal Moon is positioned and endowed in one’s horoscope to find remedial solutions.
The gemstone of the Moon is Pearl, set in silver (cooling), as it pacifies the nervous system and hyper-sensitive psyche of Moon’s nature. The Moon is poetic, romantic, insecure, and dependent on others, more so than any other planet. The color of the Moon, having a soothing influence on one’s psyche, nervous system and electromagnetic overload, is silvery white, light blue and it is a good idea to dress in this way at least Mondays and stay away from fiery, aggressive, loud color schemes. It is further helpful to fast (refrain from all solids between sunrise and sunset), on Mondays, dedicating the surfacing emotional mind mesh to LORD SHIVA for transformative purification.
* * *
Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.
~ Margaret Atwood
The ocean was the best place, of course. That was what she loved most. It was a feeling of freedom like no other, and yet a feeling of communion with all the other places and creatures the water touched.
~ Ann Brashares
* * *
The 2018 MOON Reality is a consciousness hologram with the ability for us to move through time, to experience the full range of emotions we feel as humans. This vast quantum reality is filled with metaphors to help us understand and bridge the gap between physical reality and the nonphysical subtle reality of consciousness. This is a remedial cycle we are consciously evolving and becoming intentional evolutionaries. Even legendary physicists Einstein and Planck have said that matter doesn’t exist. By finally realizing that we are not what we think we are – this solid body that our basic senses perceive as the real ‘us’ – we can experience self-realization on the highest level where we realize that we are multidimensional consciousness simultaneously experiencing a wider horizon of reality than we had ever previously thought was possible; since this realization transcends all human concepts.
The purpose of life is to gain experience. What else is life but a continuous stream of experiences? Of continuous being and becoming? The only constant in existence is change. There are enormous transitional and transformational shifts and changes occurring right now, the end result of which is still too hazy to see clearly. What we can all do to help ensure that the future is a bright one – one that fully empowers and liberates humans wherever and whoever they may be – is to shift our minds towards unity and away from all the divisiveness that plagues human society.
We are all interconnected. It’s time we start living life reflecting this reality as One collective consciousness.
This belief that we are separate from one another is being challenged both by quantum science and our own intuition. We know in our hearts that the world is supposed to be much more beautiful than what has been offered to us as normal. As the old story of separation falls apart, a new story based on the interconnected web of life is being born. We appear to be undergoing a collective psychological and cultural death-and-rebirth initiation on an unprecedented scale, and of unique historical significance. And this has really been accelerating and will continue to be so until 2020, a year that is correlating with unexpected and deeply disruptive changes in many spheres. However, it is also providing a rare opportunity to overcome these pervasive crises to usher our cultures into a new world view that is more just, compassionate, mindful, and sustainable than the apparent dead-end to which the habitual assumptions of late modernity, once so productive and inspired, have led us. In this MOON cycle we need to look beyond our moment of crisis to new directions for the theory and practice of culture, suggesting the many ways archetypal cosmology can play a significant role in the transformation in which we are collectively engaged, providing orienting purpose, cosmic intelligibility, and a capacity for greater awareness of the qualitative dynamics informing our experience, at once liberating, heartening, and illuminating.
For as long as space exists
And sentient beings endure,
May I too remain,
To dispel the misery of the world.
AUM SOM SOMAYE NAMAHA AUM
May the glorious transformative powers of Lord SHIVA shine upon us magnificently. May all spiritual or material deficits be erased and replaced with so much illuminated abundance we will walk through our days in amazed and joyous gratitude.
May Divine Love blossom in our MOON mind and True Spiritual Light flood our mind and connect us to the divine Soma.
May our health issues be completely resolved in our favour. May our close loved ones also be so blessed.
May all of our relationships be so blessed that any problems disappear, and emotional scars are miraculously healed. May joy replace any negativity in any of our meaningful relationships. May forgiveness reign and feelings of universal love flood our whole being.
May this be the year of spiritual breakthroughs for us all. Let various states of profound somatic awareness, enlightenment and realization come to us. May those who look to us for spiritual guidance realize what a blessing in their lives we are, and may we be the vehicle of Truth for all who come to us for help.
By the Grace of the Supreme, may all of this be so!
AUM NAMAH SHIVAYA - SHIVAYA NAMAH AUM
LORD SHIVA AND THE CRESCENT MOON
Lord Shiva is strongly connected with the Moon. There are two Puranic stories on how Shiva got the Crescent Moon in His hair.
Lord Shiva grants Chandra a boon
Daksha Prajapati, one of the sons of Lord Brahma, had 27 stars as his daughters. All these stars were married to the moon-god Chandra. One of these wives was named Rohini and Chandra loved Rohini more than he loved the other wives. The other wives felt neglected and they complained to their father. Daksha repeatedly warned his son-in-law to devote himself equally to all twenty-seven wives. But Chandra was in no mood to listen. Daksha thereupon cursed Chandra that he would gradually fade away. Chandra didn’t know what to do. He went and sought advice from Brahma and Brahma told him that the only recourse was to pray to Shiva. Chandra went to Prabhasa tirtha and made a linga on the banks of the river Sarasvati. He prayed to Shiva for six months. At the end of the tapasya Shiva appeared before Chandra and offered to grant him a boon. Chandra explained what the problem was. Shiva said “Daksha’s curse cannot be entirely ignored. Let us have a compromise. During krishnapaksha you will wane (dark part of the lunar fortnight). And during shuklapaksha (the bright part of the lunar fortnight) you will wax. That should satisfy everybody.” Chandra was delighted. The linga to which Chandra prayed is Somantha, the first of the jyotirlingas. Shiva is always present at that tirtha.
Lord Shiva and Halahala
During the great churning of the Ocean of Milk (the Milky Way galaxy), a great poison rose up from the depth that was about to consume all three worlds. Lord Shiva then consumed Halahala, the toxic poison, and his body temperature started rising. Because the Moon is cold in its demeanor, Lord Shiva placed the Moon on his head to lower his body temperature. That signifies that even during adversities, we should make efforts to keep our calm, and not feel perturbed by them.
Lord Shiva and the Time Cycle
The crescent Moon is shown on the side of the Lord's head as an ornament. Lord Shiva is known by the name of Chandrashekhara or the one who holds the Moon on His head. The crescent worn by Lord Shiva displays the Moon in its fifth day of the waxing phase (shuklapaksha). It symbolizes the cycle of time through which the process of creation evolves, the beginning till the end. Hence the Moon is the measure of time and the crescent on Lord Shiva's head signifies His control over time. It shows that Lord Shiva is beyond the measure of time and is the eternal reality. He is the beginning and the end of all things in the universe.
* * *
VARUNA, the guardian of the cosmic law
Art by Pieter Weltevrede
Varuna is one of the oldest Vedic gods. According to Vedic legends Varuna is the genius of the waters, the regent of the oceans and the creator and preserver of the waters on earth. Varuna is all encompassing, the ocean sun, king of the universe, the supreme divinity. In later times he became lord of the sun gods, and still later he became the god of the oceans and rivers, a position he still occupies today. In the Vedic Mythology, Varuna is connected not directly to water but to water elements of ether and earth. Cosmic functions are attributed to him. He allows the sun to shine on the firmament. The wind that roars through the air is his breath. He created the beds of rivers, which by his command flow and pour their waters into the oceans without allowing them to overflow. By his laws the Moon shines and the stars appear in the night sky, only to disappear mysteriously the next day. Nothing happens without his knowledge; no creature can move without him. He observes truth and duplicity in human beings. He has unlimited control over the fate of human beings, knows the answer to everything, and is merciful even to sinners. He is a wise guard of immortality. The characteristics and functions that are ascribed to Varuna raise him far above all other Vedic gods. In the Puranas he is the lord of water, his favourite site is Pushpagiri, the flower mountain. His riding animal is Makara, a marine monster. Although usually linked with Mitra, Varuna is occasionally invoked alone and is the uncontested ruler of the Adityas.
~ Alain Danliélou, “The Myths and Gods of India”
Varuna is mentioned in the Rig Veda as the first creator of and the upholder of the cosmic law. He is the principle of truth and justice and in that function he is fierce. Varuna evaluates the actions of people against his laws. Laws which are unknowable to men. The very first individual hymn to Varuna in the Rig Veda (Hymn 25) establishes the omnipresent and ever watchful nature of Varuna and his breadth of his knowledge. Specifically, the hymn mentions – the path of the birds, the depth of the sea and the ships which ride the waves, the positions of the Moon and the planets, the path of the winds, the gods above and below. In prayers he is declared the king of the earth and heavens.
He knows the path of birds that fly through heaven, and, Sovereign of the sea,
He knows the ships that are thereon.
True to his holy law, he knows the twelve moons with their progeny:
He knows the moon of later birth.
He knows the pathway of the wind, the spreading, high, and mighty wind:
He knows the Gods who dwell above.
~ Rig Veda, Hymn 25
The sea of life is in constant motion, no one can stop its ever-moving waves. The Master walks over the waves, the wise man swims in the water, but the ignorant man is drowned in his effort to cross.
Love is as water of the Ganges; it is in itself a purification
~ Hazrat Inayat Khan
To attain peace, what one has to do is to seek that rhythm which is in the depth of our being. It is just like the sea: the surface of the sea is ever moving; the depth of the sea is still. And so it is with our life. If our life is thrown into the sea of activity, it is on the surface. We still live in the profound depths, in that peace. But the thing is to become conscious of that peace which can be found within ourselves. It is this which can bring us the answer to all our problems. If not, when we want to solve one problem, there is another difficult problem coming. There is no end to our problems. There is no end to the difficulties of the outer life. And if we get excited over them, we shall never be able to solve them. Some think, 'We might wait. Perhaps the conditions will become better. We shall see then what to do.' But when will the conditions become better? They will become still worse! Whether the conditions become better or worse, the first thing is to seek the kingdom of God within ourselves, in which there is our peace. As soon as we have found that, we have found our support, we have found our self. And in spite of all the activity and movement on the surface, we shall be able to keep that peace undisturbed if only we hold it fast by becoming conscious of it.
When God's divine love rises as a wave, it washes away the sins of the whole life in a moment, for law has no power to stand before love: the stream of love sweeps it away.
* * *
Mother Earth is serving us; the Sun, the Moon and the Stars all serve us.
What can we do in return for their selfless service?
From the Light of God that I AM.
From the Love of God that I AM.
From the Power of God that I AM.
From the Heart of God that I AM.
I dwell in the midst of Infinite Abundance. The Abundance of God is my Infinite Source.
The River of Life never stops flowing. It flows through me into lavish expression. Good comes to me through unexpected avenues and God works in myriad ways to bless me.
I now open my mind to receive my good. Nothing is too good to be true. Nothing is too wonderful to have. With God as my Source, nothing amazes me.
I am not burdened by thoughts of past or future. One is gone. The other is yet to come.
By the power of my belief, coupled with my purposeful fearless actions and deep rapport with the Divine Power, my future is created, and my abundance made manifest.
I ask and accept that I am lifted in this and every moment into Higher Truth. My mind is quiet.
From this day forward, I give freely and fearlessly into Life, and Life gives back to me with magnificent increase. Blessings come in expected and unexpected ways. God provides for me in wondrous ways for the work that I do.
I AM indeed grateful.
MAJOR Astrological DATES for 2018
- March 22nd to April 15th, Pisces
- July 26th to August 19th, Cancer
- November 16th to December 6th, Scorpio
- Mars, June 26th to August 27th, Capricorn
- Jupiter, March 8th to July 10th, Libra
- Venus, October 5th to November 16th, Libra
- Saturn, April 17th to September 6th, Sagittarius
- January 31st, total LUNAR Eclipse
- February 15th, partial SOLAR Eclipse
- July 13th, partial SOLAR Eclipse
- July 27th, total LUNAR Eclipse
- August 11nd, partial SOLAR Eclipse
Six Key Astrological Events
- Mars Exalted in Capricorn, May 2nd to November 5th
- Mars-Ketu conjunctions, June 8th, July 20th, September 26th
- Venus in Libra, September 1st to December 31st
- Jupiter in Libra-Scorpio, in Libra till October 10th, enters Scorpio October 11th
- Lunar Nodes in Cancer-Capricorn, nodes stay in same sign all year
- Saturn in Sagittarius, transits middle part of Sagittarius
RETROGRADES for 2018
A planet going retrograde in motion, as seen from Earth, represents an area of life that comes into magnified focus. The part of the sky where a planet retrogrades, can tell what themes will become prominent during the retrograde phase. In retrograde motion a planet will be re-visiting and re-evaluating, until finally it comes along to a stationary position for a few days and resumes normal forward movement, bringing to completion and integration the lessons and insights of that period.
In Vedic astrology, the Sign and nakshatra where the retrograde takes place, as well any other conjunctions happening simultaneously during the retrograde phase of a given planet provide clues to the themes that will be important during that period.
In 2018, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn will have retrograde periods.
What can we expect from the RETROGRADE periods in 2018?
- Mars, evaluate the structures in our lives, particularly around work.
- Mercury, reconnect with our intelligence of discrimination.
- Jupiter, reassess how we are living up to our ideals of morals and ethics, beliefs and teachings.
- Venus, find harmonious balance in our relationships.
- Saturn, consider what make us tick and how we manifest responsibly in the world.
Mercury will retrograde three times in 2018: March/April, July/August and November/December.
Notable points for the Mercury retrograde:
- Mercury will retrograde in Water signs (Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio). Mercury, the planet of intellect, rational mind, communication and discrimination, will spend 2 months in each of the Water signs (half of the year!). Water signs are about developing intuition, connecting to our feelings, and doing the deep work of psychological transformation. These areas are tricky for Mercury to navigate, as we cannot simply try to “figure it out”. In 2018 we will be invited instead to connect with our intuitive nature, and heart-sense our path forward.
- Mercury will retrograde most of the time in nakshatras ruled by Mercury (Revati, Ashlesha, Jyeshtha) and Saturn (Uttara Bhadrapada, Anuradha). This brings about themes of recognizing what is under the surface of things, as the three Mercury nakshatras represent the completion of a section of the evolutionary progress around the Zodiac. The logical rational mind is at a disadvantage, and intuition and feelings are the surest way to navigate these mysterious waters. The Saturn nakshatras bring a sense of longevity, of things that keep their value in time, such as friendship (Anuradha) or fighting for a right cause (Uttara Bhadrapada). Having an attitude of service and patience (Saturn) will bring out the best results during these periods.
Dates for MERCURY retrograde:
22-Mar to 15-Apr, Pisces (22deg to 10deg)
- In Revati, 22-Mar to 2-Apr
- In Uttara Bhadrapada, 3-Apr to 15-Apr
- Mercury is debilitated in Pisces (3-Mar to 8-May), and this sets the tone for this retrograde. Mercury's natural abilities of discrimination, communication, business, will be unreliable for the whole two months. Requires extra care with travel, technology, machinery, contracts and communicating with others. The retrograde period (22-Mar to 15-Apr) brings an opportunity for re-examining those areas. It is a time to revisit projects, edit materials, and finish conversations that were left open. Best to start planning in early March, when Venus (exalted) is joining Mercury in Pisces and gives it creative juice. Due to the Mercury debilitation, success will require “out of the box” thinking when re-evaluating situations where the rational “by the book” approach was unfruitful.
26-Jul to 19-Aug, Cancer (29deg to 17deg)
- In Ashlesha, 16-Jul to 19-Aug
- Mercury in Cancer has a tendency to rationalize feelings. Cancer, the sign of home, family, nurturance and intuition, feels somewhat foreign to Mercury. The Ashlesha section represent the kundalini, the mystical energy located at the base of the spine. This retrograde will again create issues with communications, projects, our discrimination. When re-examining these areas, we have to use our intuitive capacity. This will be the most difficult of the Mercury retrogrades due to two factors. First, Mercury will be in Cancer with Rahu, a planet that causes confusion and overshadows our discrimination. Second, Mercury will be in opposition to Mars-Ketu in Capricorn, two fiery planets that can bring up anger. Thus, most likely re-visiting situations might renew old arguments, but not necessarily lead to resolution.
16-Nov to 6-Dec, Scorpio (19deg to 3deg)
- In Jyeshtha, 16-Nov to 22-Nov
- In Vishakha, 22-Nov to 6-Dec
- Mercury in Scorpio will benefit from being together with Jupiter. The sign Scorpio will be an auspicious placement due to Mars, ruler of Scorpio, transiting Pisces – forming a Parivartana Yoga with Jupiter. Scorpio is a sign of transformation and psychological depths. Jupiter’s light will help this Mercury retrograde period to be constructive in re-evaluating our underlying motivations, and might reveal to us some unknown aspects of our personality, allowing us to resolve situations that were “stuck” due to our rigid perceptions.
26-Jun to 27-Aug, Capricorn (15deg to 4deg)
- In Shravana, 26-Jun to 27-Jul
- In Uttara Shada, 27-Jul to 27-Aug
- Mars is the planet of dynamic action, courage, and aggression. When it goes retrograde it becomes prone to injury, accidents, and inimical action. Capricorn is the sign of corporations, managers, people in charge of overall strategy, and governments. This retrograde points to potential larger issues with organizations – maybe an acceleration of the disruption that traditional companies have already been experiencing with the rise of e-commerce (see Amazon), and the workplace with automation and robots. The ruler of Capricorn, Saturn, will be retrograde during the whole time, creating more uncertainty for the sign. Adding to the stressors, the south node Ketu will be in Capricorn, having three conjunctions with Mars. Ketu deals with the past, spirituality, idealism, and yet has a quality that can be “like Mars”. When the two collide (conjunction) it can lead to explosive events. On a personal note, the first part of the retrograde is in Shravana, a nakshatra ruled by the Moon. This is a mystical and artistical placement, and can give us impetus to revisit pursuing the non-corporate side of our lives. This first part will culminate on the Full Moon of July 27th, that is also a total Lunar eclipse. Emotions will be running high – and unchecked can lead to angry outbursts. The second part of retrograde is in Uttara Shada, a nakshatra connected to leadership and “type A” personalities. Here we might find ourselves questioning - what and who exactly is in the driving seat of our lives? Capricorn and Saturn are about structures and hierarchies, and this Mars retrograde will question them.
8-Mar to 10-Jul, Libra (29deg to 19deg)
- In Vishaka, 8-Mar to 17-Jun
- In Swati, 17-Jun to 10-Jul
- Jupiter, ruler of our beliefs, morals and ethics and its principles, in Libra, the sign of harmony, relationships, the performing and healing arts and fashion – has brought to light a number of scandals around the world, particularly around women’s rights and social activism. Even though it is a benefic, Jupiter can bring a certain tension in Libra when our behaviors are not aligned with our ideals. Libra is about diplomacy, compromise, and healthy boundaries. Jupiter retrograde will make us examine what are we willing to compromise in order to achieve harmony? Jupiter will likely ask us to preserve the teachings/ideals. Both Swati and Vishaka nakshatras can have strong spiritual qualities, as well the ability to manifest success in the material world. This period is an opportunity to revisit where we have been too indulgent or too flexible with our principles, and bring it back to balance and fairness.
5-Oct to 16-Nov, Libra (16deg to 1deg)
- In Swati, 5-Oct to 30-Oct
- In Chitra, 30-Oct to 16-Nov
- Venus rules relationships, the love we feel and share, beauty, art, sensuality. Venus is very strong in its own sign of Libra. The period of retrograde will be a time of re-evaluating our relationships – to others, to art, to our own sense of pleasure. Venus wants harmony, and in Libra it is empowered to evaluate where the balance of all things lies. Venus retrogrades over two nakshatras: Swati is connected to spiritual pursuits, and Chitra can be passionate and seductive. This will be a propitious time to reassess our comfort level with our relationships – am I feeling satisfied, is this a balanced, harmonious situation? Venus will bring creative solutions to our minds, that we can implement when it turns direct. Venus stays in Libra till December 31st, so sincere effort during this time can bring great rewards extending up to the holidays.
17-Apr to 6-Sep, Sagittarius (15deg to 8deg)
- In Purva Shada, 17-Apr to 5-Jun
- In Mula, 5-Jun to 6-Sep
- Saturn will spend almost five months retrograde. Saturn is named “Shani” in Sanskrit, the “slow moving one”. These yearly retrogrades provide ample opportunities for us to reflect on the Saturn themes of what are we focused on, what are we committed to? In Sagittarius, a sign of optimism, truth-loving, philosophies and beliefs – Saturn retrograde gives us the chance to discover what truly inspires us. The first part of the retrograde in Purva Shada nakshatra, allow us to re-assess our actions in the world. Purva Shada is considered the “invincible star”, and connect us with situations where our beliefs bring us success. The second part in Mula nakshatra, is more introspective, as Mula, the “root”, will connect us with the very core of what make us “tick”. Overall, this period is a good time to reassess the motivations of what we do, and if that is aligned with our values and principles. Any adjustments will help us move forward once Saturn turns direct September 6th.
ECLIPSES in 2018
The two eclipse cycles in 2018 will be in January-February and July-August. Each cycle has a sequence of solar and lunar eclipses. The two LUNAR eclipses in 2018 will be TOTAL, they occur in FULL MOON days, and reinforces the theme of MOON for 2018. The 3 solar eclipses are partial – i.e. the Sun will be only partially covered – and their effects will be subtler. The eclipses occur in the Cancer-Capricorn axis.
Eclipses are times of powerful psychological transformation, where the planets representing the soul (Sun) and the mind (Moon), the two luminaries, have their light briefly obscured. The dimming of the light outside, invites us to explore the source of light within.
What can we expect from the ECLIPSE cycles in 2018?
- January-February eclipses, a deepening of our introspective selves, become aware of a certain restlessness that will come to the foreground and be fully known during the Summer.
- July-August eclipses, a time of dealing with strong emotions around anger and disagreements past-and-present. Opportunity for great inner/outer progress later if we recognize, accept and integrate the experience.
January 31st - Total LUNAR Eclipse
- Eclipse in Cancer, Full Moon
- Moon at 17deg Cancer
- Ashlesha nakshatra
- The first eclipse of 2018 will set the tone and theme for the year – with the Moon being Full in its own sign of Cancer, in Ashlesha nakshatra. Ashlesha is related to serpents, and the kundalini energy at the base of the spine. The Sun, Venus, Mercury will be opposite to the Moon in Sravana nakshatra, which is ruled by the Moon. Thus, our feeling nature will be awakened by this eclipse, and the invitation and opportunity will be to use our intuitive capacity for journeying from Ashlesha, quite self-centered and restless, towards the realm of Sravana, ruled by Saraswati, the Goddess of learning, artistic and service-centered. Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are well established, and there are no retrogrades. Meditating during the eclipse will be most helpful, and whatever rises up during our meditation, will give clues of what parts of our psyche we can transmute and elevate during the year.
February 15th - Partial SOLAR Eclipse
- Eclipse in Aquarius, New Moon
- Sun and Moon at 3deg Aquarius
- Dhanishta nakshatra
- The solar eclipses in 2018 are partial, and this one will cover less than 40% of the Sun discus. Mercury will be closely conjunct with the Moon and Sun in Dhanishta nakshatra, related to the Muses, and granting great capacity to succeed in the world through skills, creativity and brilliant ideas. Mars, Jupiter and Saturn continue well established, and there are no retrogrades. Here we receive the tools, via inspiration, to take forward the processing of the emotional themes awakened by the lunar eclipse of January 31st. The key will be to trust our intuition. Many people never had the experience of being able to even access their intuitive self, and this eclipse will provide a door to this precious inner capacity.
July 12th - Partial SOLAR Eclipse
- Eclipse in Gemini, New Moon
- Sun and Moon at 26deg Gemini
- Punarvasu nakshatra
- This will be a subtle partial eclipse, with 20% of the Sun discus covered. Will not be visible on the Western hemisphere as it occurs during night time. The energy is of a New Moon, new beginnings, and in the genial nakshatra of Punarvasu. Punarvasu is ruled by Aditi, the mother goddess who tends the ground on which healthy seeds can bear fruit. It can gift us great spiritual wisdom. This energy is inviting us to evaluate the structures in our lives, particularly around work (Mars retrograde), and consider what make us function the way we do and how we manifest responsibly in the world (Saturn retrograde). Venus (Magha) and Jupiter (Swati) will be inviting an outward look, towards how we express ourselves through the way we are, and what values are expressed through our behaviors. This eclipse will be an inner check point before we go into the turbulent period from mid-July to late September.
July 27th - Total LUNAR Eclipse
- Eclipse in Capricorn, Full Moon
- Moon at 10 deg Capricorn
- Sravana nakshatra
- The most challenging of the eclipses of 2018, it has the Moon full, in tight conjunction with Mars and close orb to Ketu. There is the potential for great outburst of anger, resulting either in aggressive behavior (Mars) or forceful break-ups and separation (Ketu). Mercury is opposite the Moon in Cancer, just having started its retrograde period in the last degrees of Ashlesha nakshatra, the area known as “gandanta”. Gandanta means drowning, and our rational mind will be overwhelmed by the strong emotions bubbling up. Saturn and Mars will be retrograde as well – creating a disharmonious backdrop, as things, people and situations will not be functioning in their usual way. As Capricorn is the sign of governments – there might be situations with world leaders and governments entering into confrontations and disagreements. This could be in the form of trade disputes that disrupt the corporate structures, or break up with traditional and prudent protocols between nations. This eclipse emotional tone will carry on through August and September, as Mars and Ketu conjunct twice more – bringing up issues from the past. On a personal level, our main challenge will be to keep a level-headed attitude, and yet still be aware and spacious with the feelings that come up. This will be an opportunity to acknowledge – and release – these feelings, guiding us toward a successful experience later in the year with the Jupiter/Venus in Libra transits.
August 11th - Partial SOLAR Eclipse
- Eclipse in Cancer, New Moon
- Sun and Moon at 24 deg Cancer
- Ashlesha nakshatra
- The last eclipse of the year, and the Sun and Moon are back to Ashlesha nakshatra. The eclipse happens around sunrise in East Coast, and will cover around 70% of the Sun discus. Metaphorically, it is blocking the Sun light from dispersing the night. Mercury will be in Ashlesha as well, and this will set up a turbulent period in August. Venus will be debilitated (Virgo) and Jupiter retrograde (Libra), representing retracing details in agreements, particularly government and corporate ones. This is sort of a “moment of truth”, as Ashlesha relates to serpents and poison, will make clear the attitudes that have been poisoning relationships on all levels – personal, between organizations, between countries. Even though this transit can be uncomfortable and confrontational – as we will be very much stirred inside ourselves, it will bring to light much that was in the shadows of secrecy and buried in our own subconscious. This will set the stage for much healing and coming together to happen from late September till the year’s end – where more harmonious configurations of Jupiter and Venus in Libra will take place.
KEY Astrological EVENTS in 2018
MARS EXALTED IN CAPRICORN
May 2nd to November 5th
Mars stays six months in Capricorn, the sign of organization, corporations, managers, governments, prudent and cautious behavior. Mars is the planet of action, courage, tools and weapons, and displays an aggressive quality. Mars is exalted in Capricorn. The keyword for Capricorn is “achieving”, and here is where Mars commits its unbounded energy to elevated challenges, finding more worthy battles to fight. It transmutes what could be “pure anger”, into higher achievement. On its best, this transit can lead us to get a healthier relationship with our money and resources, the fruits of our Capricorn-ian work. However, Ketu, the south node is also in Capricorn. Ketu on the other hand could be named the “anti-achiever”, as its inclinations are for spiritual pursuits at best, or dissatisfaction and rejection. They both share a fiery quality, a certain uncompromising attitude, that can lead to explosives situations when they get together. This long transit will have three phases to it: first, a positive Mars focus during May-June; second a troubled energy during Mars retrograde and Ketu conjunctions; and a third phase in September-October where Mars resumes its normal operation. Summer will be the most agitated phase for this transit.
June 8th, July 20th, September 26th
- June 8th, direct in Sravana nakshatra at 13 deg Capricorn
- June 20th, retrograde in Sravana at 12 deg Capricorn
- September 26th, direct in Sravana at 10 deg Capricorn
Mars, the planet of action, courage, and aggression, encounters Ketu, the south node of mystical realms, dissatisfaction, and rejection. The material meets the inmaterial. The conjunctions happen in a narrow orb of 3 degrees, in the nakshatra of Sravana, ruled by the Moon. This gives a first hint of the results, as Sravana has a gentle vibration, being ruled by the goddess Saraswati. This shows a clear evolutionary force steering this encounter in the corporate - governmental - work world of Capricorn. The second hint is that Mars will be empowered throughout, as the conjunctions are in the first pada of Sravana, corresponding to Aries navamsha. Aries is a sign ruled by Mars, and should produce positive fruits. We should be prepared to have our “orderly” worlds being shaken on the days of the conjunctions. However, if we are consciously aware of what manifests from the clashes, it will provide us with tools for advancing towards a more sattvic, more fluid, less “matrix-conformist” world view. Another interesting point is that the triple-conjunction cycle starts on June 8th, the same day the USA enters the positive RA-JU dasha/bhukti period. This should provide more “evolutionary” energy for the topics of the corporation’s transformation – as the United States is the country leader in multinationals and corporate influence worldwide.
VENUS IN LIBRA
September 1st to December 31st
Venus will be in its own sign, Libra, for four months, an unusually long cycle. This will be a great boon, and help with our relationships, and for us reaching compromise and harmony with others. Libra will bring out the best Venus qualities of social skills, being gracious, polite, sociable. Arts and music will have a flowering, and appreciation of beauty in general. This will be a very auspicious cycle, promising to give 2018 a great final stretch. In October-November Venus will go retrograde – yet this time it will serve to bring people close together. It also will provide some respite from the events from the Summer (Mars-Ketu conjunctions and Lunar Eclipse). Being the planet of compromise in the sign of diplomats, there are chances of major political upheavals. The USA holds congressional and governorship elections in November, at the end of Venus retrograde. The election has the potential to bring results that will start the process of reducing the extreme polarization experienced during the past couple years.
LUNAR NODES IN CANCER-CAPRICORN
Stay in same Sign all year
The lunar nodes are astronomical points in the sky that keep moving over time. These are points where the orbit of the Moon intersects the plane of the Sun (as viewed from the Earth). When this intersection happens, the three bodies are aligned, Sun, Moon and Earth. If the Moon happens to be in front of the Sun viewed from the Earth, the North Node, there is a solar eclipse, i.e. it appears that the disc of the Sun is covered for the duration of the Eclipse. If the Moon happens to be behind the Earth during the alignment, the South Node, there is a lunar eclipse, always on the Full Moon. In the lunar eclipse, it appears that the full Moon disc is covered for the duration of the Eclipse.
In Vedic Astrology, these lunar nodes are named Rahu (North Node) and Ketu (South Node). They have an energetic status equal to the other planets of the solar system, and are considered chaya (shadowy) grahas. They are both related to the karmic stream that propels us from lifetime to lifetime. Rahu represents the new karma or actions we want to take. Ketu represents our past life karma. The way it manifests in one’s astrological chart, Rahu indicates areas of life where there is a strong, primal interest in this current incarnation. Sometimes to the point of obsession. Rahu goes about pursuing these areas with much gusto, but usually with a certain inexperience and ruthlessness, as these are areas of life were not fully explored before. By a combination of greed, short-sightedness and a certain naiveté, Rahu tends to get us into trouble. Ketu on the other hand, is related to the experiences we had in past lives, to the point where we have had enough of them. This leads Ketu to create a certain distance in the areas of life it affects, either through outright rejection of those areas, or trying to spiritualize those subjects.
Rahu in Cancer, the sign of family, home, nourishment, has disrupted the traditional family, and highlighted the feelings of separation that modern humans feel, having been uprooted from traditional extended family. Cancer though brings the feeling we need to be more connected to each other. When they don’t feel connected, people will search for this sense of connectedness. Rahu has also brought to the forefront women’s issues, and we might see more female leaders taking power, including potentially, a first in time history, female Shankacharya in India.
Ketu in Capricorn, the sign of organizations, corporations, managers, government, is bringing both secrets from the past, as well breaking up traditional formal structures. This is visible in the current challenges that traditional companies have from the soaring Internet enterprises (Amazon, Google), as well as the visions of robots and artificial intelligence upending traditional corporate roles. See any airport and their machination with all their kiosks, reducing and eventually eliminating human agent interaction.
Rahu and Ketu are the lunar nodes that bring karmic and evolutionary lessons. Thus, 2018 is poised to be a year of radical shifts and radical changes. These won’t be violent changes though – they will be more driven by the energies from Jupiter and Venus in Libra – it will be more about evolving values and attitudes. For certain, none of us will be in the same mindset when this year 2018 closes.
JUPITER IN LIBRA-SCORPIO
In Libra till October 10th, enters Scorpio October 11th
Jupiter, the planet of law, religion, prosperity, optimism, opportunity, and beliefs, will be in Libra a solid year, from September 2017 to October 2018. During this period, there has been a growing sense of peace, of coming together in a world that has been exhausted by the fights generated during Saturn’s long transit through Scorpio (2014 to 2017). We have seen the female energy more prominent in the world, with women empowered, and social movements bringing equality to the forefront. There has been a flowering of the arts and creativity – particularly representing the human condition, feelings and emotions. This should continue throughout 2018, as Jupiter stays in Libra through early October – and Venus, ruler of Libra, will be in the same sign from September to December 31st. This is a year for self-help and self-improvement, as collectively we feel a relief from the disharmony of the past few years. Jupiter has brought a sense of prosperity to the world, visible in the strong financial markets and increase in overall job growth. Jupiter, however, has a certain “tension” in Libra, as even being a benefic, its focus is on how we stay true to our ideals. These ideals have been evolving, and becoming more transpersonal. We see the struggle of humanity coming back together, wanting to feel “whole and complete”. 2018 is bringing a supportive planetary configuration for us to connect to that inner source of prosperity and optimism based on spiritual ideals.
In October, Jupiter leaves Libra and enters the sign of Scorpio. Scorpio is considered a difficult sign for most planets – as it can be secretive, strongly instinctual, power and sex oriented, and harbor a certain revengeful stinging negativity. Scorpio requires planets to have a sense of purpose, a sense of “great things to do”. Jupiter, Sun and Mars do well in Scorpio. Jupiter particularly brings with it a mystic power that allows the expression of the higher aspect of Scorpio – the power of transformation. This period will be positive for spiritual teachings and spiritual practice.
In our personal lives, the equanimity and core values discerned during Jupiter transit in Libra, can now be applied for our spiritual actualization with Jupiter in Scorpio.
SATURN IN SAGITTARIUS
Transits middle part of Sagittarius
Saturn stays in Sagittarius for the whole year of 2018, transiting through the later part of Mula nakshatra and early part of Purva Ashada. These two nakshatras are quite opposite in nature. Where Mula is associated with destruction, and getting to the root of things, Purva Ashada is associated with victory and success in the world. Mula is ruled by Ketu, dissolution and separation. Purva Ashada is ruled by Venus, harmony, beauty and relational. Thus, Saturn will be slowly making its way back-and-forth between these two polarities, triggering the same within ourselves. Being in Sagittarius, the question becomes what do you believe in? What's your truth? Understanding this, we can then bring it out to the world. Saturn is a krura (cruel) planet, it always challenges us and makes us work hard without pining for any rewards. Our world has for eons been prey to an existential rage/anger, an emotional web of fear, criticism, condemnation. These feelings were very much brought to the surface during Saturn’s long sojourn in Scorpio. Now Saturn is inviting us to work towards bringing our attitudes in alignment with our high ideals. The world is suffering because of this inner criticism, but we are now better equipped to aspire to a shared world of higher consciousness.
PROJECTING INTO THE FUTURE
How will it look for each Number
Calculating your birthday and cycle # for 2018 use the following method. Add together:
- the number of the month
- day of birth
- year for which prediction is made (18) using the last 2 digits only
- day of the week your birthday falls on (check below).
SUNDAY = 1 SUN
MONDAY = 2 MOON
TUESDAY = 9 MARS
WEDNESDAY = 5 MERCURY
THURSDAY = 3 JUPITER
FRIDAY = 6 VENUS
SATURDAY = 8 SATURN
Add all of this together and the number that results from this addition becomes the number of the projected year.
NOTE: As this summary is very general it can only provide an overall idea of what is to come. For more precise possibilities one should consider having one’s personalized chart done and consult a competent numerologist or astrologer, experienced and gifted in such matters.
YEAR CYCLE #1, RULED BY THE SUN
Important year of significant changes. Difficulties and problems that have existed for many years will vanish. One develops a new outlook. One hones down to the essentials and shines bright like a sun. One will feel lucky, special and receives help from people, especially people in authority and the government. One feels more healthy, robust and progressive about all one’s involvements. There will be easier success in business if one gets focused, organized and plans ahead as it is a cycle of new beginnings, so sowing seeds. One will meet interesting people that provide impetus for new directions. One will be less fearful, anxious or insecure. One will work hard however experience less stress. One will achieve name and fame, especially in competitions. This is also an excellent cycle for buying something new, starting a new venture or investment scheme. For artists/musicians this will be a superb year to make a significant societal contribution and or composition.
YEAR CYCLE #2 RULED BY THE MOON
This cycle will bring an increase in personal happiness, richer magnetism, and feeling attractive to others. As well as new friends, who will be helpful in the future. Overall there will be less worry and stress, yet deeper emotionality superseded by more practicality. One will experience benefit from real estate and find a new house/home/apartment and an overall improved living situation through patience and good planning. One will experience profound changes in the way one thinks and perceives. The most important factor will be to observe the necessity of worrying and hurrying less and thereby becoming more conscious of each moment.
YEAR CYCLE # 3 RULED BY JUPITER
This will bring more knowledge and practical everyday wisdom. It will be a time to complete old projects and get ready for a major shift and life transformation during the year. One will meet new acquaintances that will become friends. Overall an auspicious year as it brings financial gain, name and honor in society if one efforts to express oneself clearly. This is a meaningful cycle for writers and orators. These people should be careful as the influence of Jupiter can make them exaggerate the truth and make them frank and fearless that could get them into trouble. It is a very good cycle for planning the next venue and or getting a job promotion. Not good for lawsuits however and also a time to tests one’s new friends before trusting them completely.
YEAR CYCLE #4 RULED BY RAHU
This year will bring success with difficulties. There will be strength, undisturbed by unforeseen troubles and obstacles. There is alertness, hard work, and calm. There are also financial gains, increased sources of income, and financial stability. You will experience new ventures, such as a new house or apartment. This year will also be auspicious, for one may get married, but if one does not want to marry officially, one gets a life partner. Married people with no children get a child. This year is good for relationships with friends and life partners. It is not successful for love affairs and romance. It will be good for relations with government officials and men of authority. This year will be good for traveling, spiritual pursuits and religious activities.
YEAR CYCLE #5 RULED BY MERCURY
This year will be a year of success and financial stability. It brings an increase in one's circle of friends. It is also good for business and businessmen. It will be good for traveling and for going abroad on business or for enjoyment. It will be good for partnership in business. It is a time to be conscious while talking, and also to be conscious while signing a deal or a contract. It is good for those employed in the media and communications business: writers, poets, actors, entertainers, radio artists, and journalists. It will be good for appearing in competitions and taking risks. It will be a memorable year.
YEAR CYCLE #6 RULED BY VENUS
Year number 6 is good for family relationships, free from the problems of household affairs. It is also good for romance and conceiving a child. It is good for interior decorators, actors, musicians, poets, and painters as well as for filmmakers, theatre people, and those involved in show business. Good for jewelers and people involved in the perfume business. It will be good for spending on decoration, entertainment, and enjoyment. It is a time to get employment, for those who are unemployed. It is a time to deal with items of beauty, sensual enjoyment, worldly pleasure, and gifts. This year also brings the chance of getting unexpected wealth and a raise in salary.
YEAR CYCLE #7 RULED BY KETU
This year will hold misunderstandings and difficulties. There will be difficulties in business: more work, less profit. Success in such things as court cases and law suits. It will also be a year to test friends and helpers and to avoid unnecessary discussion. Devote energy to the healing arts, astrology, practice of Tantra, magic, and hypnosis. Take fewer risks and be conscious in love affairs and romance; there are chances of getting a bad name. Remain optimistic and undisturbed if one desires success in jobs undertaken. A patient and optimistic attitude will solve problems and remove obstacles. The difficulties are only a test. This will also be a good year for healers, astrologers, and those involved in occult sciences.
YEAR CYCLE #8 RULED BY SATURN
This year will be good for politicians, social workers, and people involved in the iron and steel industry. It brings the opportunity to start a new venture. It will be poor in the area of health. Precautions are needed; for example, avoid stress, excitement, and anxiety. Use more juices and spices, which clean the blood and strengthen the heart. Use pearl powder (mukta pishti) and powdered blue sapphire (neelam pishti). It is a time to gain success in worldly matters; one should use one' energy to become more creative. The right use of energy will bring good luck. It is good for gaining victory over enemies, and in lawsuits. It is a time to become independent, to rely on one's own resources and judgment. It is good for social work.
YEAR CYCLE #9 RULED MARS
This year will be a year of completion, success, and good fortune. It is a time for fulfillment of desires, for organizing oneself and a year of gaining favors from men of authority and government officials. It will also bring slight disagreements - a harmful exchange of harsh words with an officer is possible. There will be success in combat and competitions and honor by society. There is a chance of unexpected financial gains, through a lottery, inheritance, or other source. During this year, one should also avoid doubting and perfectionism. By devoting more energy to spiritual pursuits, the year will bring good results.
Christina Richa Devi
2018 ASTRO FORECAST AND DAILY MOON and NAKSHATRA CALENDAR
Have the insider astro nuggets for 2018 at your fingertips!
Daily, precisely calculated Moon and Nakshatras transits of the entire 12 months This is a priceless tool to select auspicious times and avoid troublesome transits re major decisions.
Please ask for a sample of the 2018 Calendar.
|Available in PDF format for $11.55.
To receive a printable copy of my 2018 Astro Forecast, send $30.45.
|Or purchase both the Moon-Nakshatra Calendar and 2018 Forecast for $36.75.